WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU SUBMIT AN ONLINE LICENSE RENEWAL PAYMENT?
- It is VERY IMPORTANT that you enter the correct license number since the Official Payments Corporation (OPC) payment system cannot validate the information provided. Submitting a renewal payment with incorrect information WILL DELAY the processing of the license renewal. If you do not know your license number, or need to verify your license expiration date, please refer to the Bureau of Automotive Repair’s (BAR) License Search web page to locate this information.
- Licenses are mailed to the address of record. Verify that the address listed on your renewal notice is current.
- Name and address changes must be received/processed by BAR prior to the submittal of an online license renewal payment. The Change of Name/Address/Corporate Officers form is available on BAR’s website. Please wait two (2) weeks after submitting changes and check BAR’s License Search web page to verify that changes have been made before attempting to submit an online license renewal payment.
- Payments for Automotive Repair Dealers (ARDs) and stations must be submitted within 90 days of the license expiration date. Payments received more than 90 days in advance of the expiration date will be refunded and the license will not be renewed.
Payments for Smog Check Inspectors and Smog Check Repair Technicians must be submitted within 150 days of the license expiration date. Payments received more than 150 days in advance of the expiration date will be refunded and the license will not be renewed.
NOTE: Name and address change requests do not extend a license expiration date.
- If you recently mailed a license renewal payment, please allow sufficient processing time (2–4 weeks) before submitting a second payment using the online license renewal payment system. If you proceed with submitting a second renewal payment, be advised that refund processing time is approximately 4–8 weeks.
Once you make an online license renewal payment, no further action is necessary. After OPC processes the payment (within 2–3 business days), BAR will verify that all
renewal requirements have been met. Your renewed registration/license will be sent to the address of record.
You will be sent a written notice if any further information is needed to process your renewal.
Additional Personal License Eligibility Questions