Skip to Main Content

Consumer Assistance Program
Vehicle Retirement


Due to high demand and participation in the Vehicle Retirement program, CAP has exhausted its funding and is unable to accept or process any new applications for the remainder of the fiscal year. CAP anticipates funds will be available on or after July 1, 2018. Please check the CAP website for updates.

Before applying when funding is available, we recommend reviewing the information provided below.

To check the status of your previously submitted application, please have your CAP ID number and vehicle license plate number ready.

Other Options

  • Apply for the Repair Assistance program after reviewing the eligibility requirements
  • Donate the vehicle to a charitable organization
  • Contact a dismantler directly (NOTE: The State does NOT have authority to reimburse consumers who retire their vehicles outside of the CAP program.)
  • Contact a local Air Quality Management District (AQMD) regarding alternative programs

To contact CAP, call toll-free (800) 952-5210 or (866) 272-9642.