Consumer Assistance Program
CAP offers two Vehicle Retirement options. Each option has its own specific eligibility and Smog Check requirements that must be met in order to qualify. For instance, Option 1 requires your vehicle to have failed its most recent Smog Check inspection, whereas Option 2 requires a vehicle to have successfully completed a Smog Check inspection (pass or fail) within the last 180 days.
To determine your eligibility, you must apply online or mail a completed application to CAP. Applying online reduces the processing time and allows you to check the status of your application.
Generally, completed applications for Vehicle Retirement are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks. Until your application has been processed, CAP is unable to determine your eligibility. Once your application has been processed, a determination letter will be mailed to you.
We encourage you to review the information provided in the links below before submitting an application. There may be issues such as vehicle registration or Smog Check requirements that must be addressed before applying.
- Program Eligibility and Smog Check Inspection Requirements ( Requisitos de la elegibilidad del programa y de la inspección del smog )
- Frequently Asked Questions ( Preguntas Frecuentes )
- Income Verification ( Verificación del Ingreso Familiar )
- Dismantler List ( Lista De Desmanteladores )
To apply online, please have your vehicle registration or title available.
To check the status of your application, please have your CAP ID number and vehicle license plate number ready.
- Air Resources Board Old Car Buy Back and Scrap Program
- Antelope Valley
- Bay Area
- County of San Luis Obispo
- Mojave Desert
- Ventura County
- San Joaquin Valley APCD Polluting Automobile Scrap & Salvage Program
- San Joaquin Valley Tune In and Tune Up Events
- South Coast Air Quality Management District Replace Your Ride Program
- Greater Los Angeles Area