Consumer Assistance Program
10949 North Mather Boulevard, Rancho Cordova, CA 95670
Toll Free (866) 272-9642
NOTICE TO CONSUMERS:
Financial assistance through the Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) is subject to the availability of funds for each fiscal year.
At this time, CAP is unable to accept applications for the Vehicle Retirement Program, as funding has been exhausted for this fiscal year. Consumers wishing to retire a vehicle through CAP may apply on or after July 1, 2016.
Applications for our Repair Assistance Program will continue to be accepted and processed as normal.
The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) is administered by the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) and is designed to help improve California's air quality. CAP offers two options to consumers:
- Repair Assistance: Income-eligible consumers may receive up to $500 in emissions-related repairs after their vehicle fails its biennial Smog Check inspection.
- Vehicle Retirement: Consumers who meet income eligibility requirements may receive either $1,000 or $1,500 to retire their vehicle at a BAR-contracted dismantler.
Please review the program requirements below prior to submitting your application.
Other OptionsRepair Assistance Options
- Air Resources Board Plus-Up Pilot Project (Greater Los Angeles area and San Joaquin Valley)
- Air Resources Board Voluntary Accelerated Vehicle Retirement Program
- South Coast Air Basin Replace Your Ride Program